Monday, 8 February 2016

Review: Lush 'Ayesha' Fresh Face Mask

Hi everyone!

I hope all of you are doing okay in the sweltering heat - New Zealand is in a heatwave at the moment and it's pretty gross. I run very hot so I don't do well in the summer!

Today I'm going to review a Lush Fresh Face Mask called Ayesha! This mask is meant to be used to combat the signs of aging, tightening and toning the skin while brightening dull spots. It is a clay-based mask, made with Fullers Earth, kiwifruit, asparagus, elderflower, witch hazel, and honey.

I don't use Lush face masks all that often, as many of them are tailored towards oily skin, and I prefer to make my own masks out of banana, yoghurt, and oats - on a side note, honey mixed with cinnamon makes a great spot treatment if you don't have sensitive skin! 

"Spellbinding ingredients to smooth away wrinkles. Tightening, absorbent clays, deeply effective asparagus, vitamin rich fresh kiwifruit, bewitching elderflower, and witch hazel leave the skin radiant, relaxed, and refreshed".

But I do love a good store mask from time to time, so I picked this up on a whim at my local Lush store. It costs $NZ16.50 and is meant to be stored in the fridge - my Lush store has a nice display where all the pots are set out on ice! It is meant to be used within a few weeks of being opened, as it has no added preservatives and uses fresh ingredients.

For a (temporary!) face lift, simply take out of the fridge, apply a generous layer over the face, avoiding the eyes. Leave on for 5 to 10 minutes, then wash off with warm water.

The mask is a brownish-grey colour with bits of some kind of ingredient in it - probably the asparagus. It's not a very attractive-looking mask, but looks aren't everything in a face product. It has a strange scent that I can't really identify. I'm sure that I can smell asparagus, but it's not a very pure scent as it's mixed in with other herb-y, plant-y smells. It's not nice, but it's not strong, either, and once it's applied to the face I barely notice it. People with very sensitive noses or an aversion to asparagus might disagree with me, though.

Not the prettiest mask in the world, but don't judge a book by its cover!

I have incredibly dry skin, and this is one of the few masks that I've tried that didn't sting my face as it dried. It sat very comfortably on my skin, felt quite cooling, and as it dried I didn't feel any noticeable tightening. This was unusual as usually my skin doesn't like clay-based masks. I'm not sure if this is a good thing - while I appreciate that using this mask didn't feel uncomfortable, doesn't it claim to have skin tightening properties? I guess I expect a mask that claims to tighten the skin to be more, well, tightening? (Yes, I've used the same word three times...)

I've had this sexy green clip for six years and I've been mocked so many times by my mates for it - but it does the job!

I left the mask on for ten minutes and then moistened my face a bit, using the opportunity to give my face a light scrub with the plant material. The mask is quite thick, so it takes a bit of work to get off the skin. Make sure that you take it off very gently, rather than scrubbing the skin with a harsh flannel - which is a bad habit of mine.

Once I washed off the mask, my skin felt smooth and hydrated, and it had a nice glow to it.

From this angle it looks like I have no top lip? But look at that glow!
 
My fine lines were somewhat less noticeable - although this effect didn't last long. I think that this mask, used once or twice a week over a few months, might have a longer lasting effect. I didn't expect it to do much for my acne scarring on my forehead and around my mouth, but I'm working on that with other products.

What impressed me a lot was how far the mask went. I barely made a dent in the pot, and after using it one more time, there's still more than half the product left. I'll probably get two or three more uses out of it, which is quite impressive for such a small container. I'm just conscious that I have to use it quickly! I think that this mask would be great value if you wanted to have a pampering party with your friends or family because it stretches so far.

Overall I enjoyed using this mask, although it wasn't absolutely incredible. But it was a nice experience, gave me a pretty glow, and it was remarkably comfortable on my dry skin. I'd recommend this to other people with dry skin who want to try something with anti-aging properties, but want to use something more natural and cruelty-free.

Do you have any favourite Lush masks? Let me know about them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment